Monday, August 29, 2016

Letting go while holding on tight

I found this in my Facebook memories this morning, as one of those back-to-school musings from years ago. They struck me again as words to remember, and rather than reshare there, I thought I'd memorialize it over here on the blog, with a note about how poignant these words are to me, still.

"Life seems to flood by, taking our loves quickly in its flow. In the growth of children, in the aging of beloved parents, time’s chart is magnified, shown in its particularity, focused, so that with each celebration of maturity there is also a pang of loss.

This is our human problem, one common to parents, sons and daughters, too--how to let go while holding tight, how to simultaneously cherish the closeness and intricacy of the bond while at the same time letting out the raveling string, the red yarn that ties our hearts."
-Louise Erdrich, The Blue Jay’s Dance

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm taking it as a sign from the universe that this posted today. As you can see above from my edited first paragraph, I saw this and tucked it away to share later. Except I must have hit the publish button. So, it's here, memorialized, and true as when Louise first wrote it and I first shared it. Such a dance we humans do. Love you, lady.

      Delete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs